We Washed 288 Roots in 2 Days!

We Washed 288 Roots in 2 Days!

I’m sure you’ve forgotten about me. It’s been a while, I know. Suffice it to say that by the end of next week, Sam and I will be able to breathe a lot easier! I should be writing right now (for school), but I wanted to tell you guys about how awesome my family is! 

Remember how I was growing sunflowers in the greenhouse? Well two weekends ago, it was time to harvest them. I had to divide the sunflowers up into young leaves, old leaves and stem tissue and bag them in brown paper bags to be dried for weight measurements. The roots got moved to the walk-in cold room. That weekend, I was going to have to spend two full days of work dumping the pots and washing away all the sand so that all I was left with was roots. For 288 plants! My mom and grandmother, Nene, offered to drive down to help with washing, and I wasn’t going to turn them away.

The three of us and Sam spent all day washing roots out at the back of the greenhouse.


We were so tired by the end of the weekend, but we finished! Just in time for the hurricane.
  
Some other updates about what’s been going on in our life….. the eclipse was gorgeous! Sam and I swam across a lake (and killed my phone in the process) to get to an island to watch the eclipse.


 We got to see it at full totality for almost two minutes!!!


Our chickens started laying eggs (all but one). We get 5-6 eggs per day now. Don’t ask me what we are doing with all of them. We haven’t had time to figure that out yet.


The dogs are enjoying life and being trusted with more unsupervised time outside (hence the mess…sigh).

The kittens are adorable.
  

I’m learning to program arduinos.


Sam's trying to finish sanding the master closet. 



And we are really, really tired. Here’s to hoping for a vacation in the near future.

Comments